Thursday, November 13, 2014

Day 0 and Day 1

         
  As much as I would love to jump right into writing about my thrilling first day at the conference, the real excitement started the two days leading up to the conference as we were preparing to fly across the country… in a blizzard. As many could already guess, it did not turn out well. Monday morning I went to class at 9 am and when I walked back to my dorm at 4 pm that day, we were well on our way to a foot of snow. This turned into two feet of wet heavy snow that covered the entire Upper Peninsula, which obviously included NMU campus and the airport we were scheduled to fly out of Wednesday morning at 8 am. My roommate and I stayed awake to the wee early morning hours watching the snow fall and hoping for a snow day. Lo and behold, we did; we got the snow day. Unfortunately, we did not anticipate what that meant until 12:11 pm, when I received the call that our flights out of Sawyer International Airport had been cancelled. This turned into a multiple hour fiasco of calling, packing, and badly held-back panic while me and (mostly) my mother and secretary of the Center for Native American Studies, Tina Moses, rescheduled our flights to Green Bay the next day at 11:50 am. I am and will continue to be incredibly thankful for my mom for fixing where the weather may have defeated our hopes of getting to the national conference.
            The rest of the traveling went smoothly once we were out of the UP and we arrived in Orlando in awe of how huge this city is. After we checked in at the Caribe Royale Resort and hung up all of our “business” clothes, we meandered our way towards food. Turns out we were just far enough away from any restaurants that we decided on eating at the Tropicale restaurant at the resort. Kristina and I ate some risotto with cheese, while Waylind had a burger, and Larry had a puny chicken “breast” that much more resembled a wing. After meeting and hanging out with a few people from Michigan State University, we got our clothes and alarms ready for the next day and went to sleep at a mere 1 am.
            Once the alarms went off at the early hour of 6:30 am, I got ready for my day which would tell me about the next five years of my life; the first meeting of my Lighting the Pathways program at 9 am. Waylind and I walked over to the convention center to register and I walked ever closer to my future. 8:50 am rolled around and I found the room, Bonaire 5. I said “see ya later” to Waylind and I walked into the room.

The room was not very full, maybe 30 people at the most including all the staff, mentors, and participants of the program. The table I sat at was made up mostly of graduate level students, except for me and the other mentee for my mentor named Devin. From there, we sat through three hours of introductions, information, and stories about what we were involved in and the path to get there. I won’t bore you with all of the information I was told, but to make it short, I will have a mentor that I will have monthly communication with via Skype, as well as a research project and surveys that will span the length of the five year program. Along with this, I will have a yearly stipend as well as travel to the national conference and the leadership summit paid for while in the program. Lastly, I will be required to take part in a summer Research Experience for Undergraduates every year. All this is adding up to my future career as faculty in the STEM fields, and I am so excited to start. But first, I must meet my mentor tomorrow morning at 8:45 am. Stay tuned for more on how this goes! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment